Sunday, April 15, 2007

Mixed emotions



So my Son informs me that he's joining the Army. He's been to a recruiter's office and has already taken a test. He has to go back at 6:30am Monday for his physical. He's taking his Flight itinerary with him to show that he has prepaid tickets to come see me on May 11th. We are hoping they will hold off sending him anywhere until after his visit here. I have mixed emotions about this, simply because he has done this 2 other times in his life and has found reasons to back out every time. He swears though, that this time he's going all the way with it. My son, throughout his adult life, has floated from job to job and spent numerous lengths of time unemployed. This June will be 2 years now that he's been down in Jacksonville, Florida and working as a plumbers assistant. Well, that has come to a screeching halt. He was fed up with the goings on with the "so called" plumbers they assigned him with and went to talk to the owner of the small business to "inform" him of the goings on that these plumbers were doing. It has been difficult for David as he gains knowledge of the job, to know that the plumbers were doing things the wrong way. He eventually told the owner that he couldn't work like that and the owner said that was fine because he had 2 other men he could replace him with. About 8 or 9 years ago, my son got into some trouble and now has a misdemeanor on his record. This has prevented him from gaining employment in several areas. I know this is the driving force behind his decision to enlist in the Army. I'm all for him joining the military and will support him fully. I just wish he was doing it for different reasons. With things the way they are right now in our military, it's scary knowing where he'll end up. I know though, that him ending up in Iraq or Afghanistan could be well down the road after proper training and schooling is done. I'm just hoping now, that nothing interferes with his visit here next month. I don't know when I'll get the chance to see him again otherwise.



David is also upset because he doesn't know what will happen with his dog. This dog is my baby too. He's lived with me since he was a 6 week old puppy and has turned out to be the best dog we've ever had. He has the most gentle personality ever in a dog. When I moved here, I gave cerebus back to David since pit bulls are outlawed here. If his friend/roommate Phil doesn't want the responsibility in taking care of him...(cerebus has allergies and tends to be expensive to care for from time to time)...then he'll have to figure out a place to turn him over too. It's heart breaking for both of us because we don't want to loose the dog. He just turned 4 years old on Easter.
This is the newest saga for my blog. I'll post updates as I know them and if I feel free to share them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home